Monday, August 18, 2008

Music... it's all about the music...

I just spent several hours looking on youtube to find videos of my songs that I adore (at the moment). I've been spending a lot of time in Mamma Mia land and loving every minute of most of the songs, so I decided to put them on the blog.

It's been quite some time since I've written. Two months to be exact. Man, how fast the summer has gone, no? I've been knitting non-stop and my dyeing of my yarns has suffered because of it, but I just got some canning jars to experiment with dip dyeing and I plan to start on that very soon.

I dyed a very long skein (the width of my living room) last week and I was going to post it to show you, but I couldn't resist the call to start knitting with it, so it's already on my needles. I'm making a pair of baby longies (don't know why they're called that, since they are really just a pair of small pants, but okay, I go with the flow.) I'm going to call them my punkin patch pants because the colors scream out fall and pumpkins. They are yellow, a light orangey squash color and a deeper pumpkin color. They were supposed to be reds and pinks with a dash of bright yellow, but sometimes there's no accounting for how things will look when they get rinsed after they dyepot. I love the way the colors came out, though, and am very happy with the way they are working up. I'll get a picture of them up once I'm through knitting them.

On the other side of the knitting front, I'm thinking of opening an Etsy store. My sister has been shopping in my stash for a while and went home with some pretty fabulous yarns. After about six weeks, she returned them to me in the form of nine assorted sized/shaped handbags, and even a bag perfect for a sports bottle. I'm going to make a store to sell her creations. It amazes me constantly what someone can do without patterns, just from having an idea in their head. My sister is one creative chickadee.

As we spent this past weekend at my brother's house (my most adorable twin, that is), I took all of the bags out onto his back deck (that he built himself) and humg them from his wall, using the wall and his rear garden as my backdrop. I'm very pleased with the pictures and will post them shortly (just have to get them off my disk and I have to recharge my camera in order to do that.)

It is always so great spending time with my brother and my family. I come from some great stock and love the way we interact together. My daughter had a great time seeing her older cousins and hanging out with the guys. We love being upstate. It's just so relaxing and the best part is always being with family. I want my daughter to understand and know the importance of how much family means. I'm happy to say she's really getting it.

We love taking road trips too. From the minute we get in the car until we get where we're going, we're singing and talking the whole way. As she's getting older, she's expressing herself so much better and in the most interesting ways. She can certainly be a challenge, but she is rather interesting and funny too. She's great to hang around with. And the bonus is, I get to hear her sing. All the time. In the car, in the house, in the shower, out the window... it doesn't matter. If the tune is in her head, it's out her mouth. There's nothing better than that.

So here I sit, listening to "Slipping Through My Fingers" with tears running down my face and knowing that in a few years from now, as she passes into adulthood and goes out into the world, I will have all of these wonderful memories of this time we have right now. It's all good.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

i'm sure you'll have many more years of closeness with your daughter! can't wait to see your etsy store. be sure to blog about it once it's open.

Eric Kamander said...

It was great to see you last weekend. I can't wait to see the pictures.