Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Month of May Swap

About Your Yarn Passion

1. Do you knit, crochet, or do both? When did you first learn? I do both, but I don't really enjoy crocheting (possibly because I could only do granny squares and it got boring after a while. It's also a pain sewing all of those squares together). I really enjoy knitting and do it every day. I love the assortment of yarns available and the fabric that knitting makes. I learned when I was about five or so and did not knit for years, but I have been knitting consistently now for about the past 15 years.


2. Do you like using a particular type of needle or hook? (wood, metal, straight, circular) Is there something you've been wanting to try, or a particular size you always seem to be short on? I love the Knit Picks Harmony needles and have many of them. I'd like to try the longer options needles, but not the interchangeables. I just treated myself to several Addi Lace needles and had them shipped from Germany. They are excellent! I am always short of size 8 needles. I usually have five or six projects going at once and they usually seem to need size 8s.


3. What kind of projects do you enjoy making? Any types you just haven't ever gotten into as much as others? I love making baby clothes. They just seem to go so quickly and it's great getting that instant gratification. I find that I knit in cycles... right now I'm into making lace shawls interspersed with longies and hats.



4. What's on your needles\hook right now? What's your oldest UFO (unfinished object)? On my needles currently are a shawl for my daughter's teacher, a pair of longies, the start of a blanket and I'm about to start a sweater for my brother-in-law so I can have it in time for his birthday. My oldest unfinished object is a sweater for my daughter that I started when she was 3 and has outgrown years ago (because she's now 12). Obviously, if it ever gets finished, it will be for someone else.


5. What are your favorite types of yarns? Any you're allergic too, or just hate working with? Anything in particular you've been dying to try? My all time favorite yarn is 100 Pure Wool from Uruguay. I am not allergic to anything, but I dislike working with acrylic. I would love to try Socks That Rock. I just have not gotten around to ordering any yet.


6. What sort of colors do you love in yarns? Brights? Pastels? More muted colors? Variegated? Are there any you can't stand? I love variegated colors, jewel tones, earth tones, the brighter, the better. I'm not a fan of pastels or baby colors. I pretty much like most colors, EXCEPT bright orange or yellow. I dye a lot of my own yarns and enjoy that very much.

About coffee and chocolate...

1. Do you prefer caffeinated or not? decaf for me please... can't handle the caffeine.

2. Whole bean or ground? For what type of pot or press? I use single serve packets for my single serve coffee maker.


3. Do you enjoy going out to coffee shops like Starbucks? What are some of your favorites? I don't particularly care of Starbucks. I think their coffee is exceedingly strong or they just burn it. And let's not mention the cost factor. They are so expensive it's ridiculous. I love coffee in diners and Dunkin' Donuts.

4. What kinds of chocolate or candy do you like? Is there anything you won't eat? I love all things chocoloate, vanilla and caramel. I would never eat coconut. My favorite candy (currently, because it changes often) is Twizzlers multicolored package. Yum!

All about YOU!
1. Do you have other hobbies like spinning or scrapbooking? I did scrapbooking religiously when my daughter was born and right through her fifth birthday and then I let it go. I should pick it up again because it seems as if her life stopped when I stopped scrapbooking, hahahahaha. I like to make my own stitch markers. I dye my own yarns and then knit one-of-a-kind garments from that. I read voraciiously and absolutely love www.paperbackswap.com .


2. Do you collect anything? Books. I buy them as my authors write and then I throw them on my "to be read" shelf in my living room. That shelf is 18' long and now is lined double deep with books waiting to be read.


3. What sort of scents do you enjoy? Any difference in what you like for your house versus what you like for your body? I love the smell of vanilla for both my house and my body. I also love citrus smells for both. My favorite perfume scent is Elizabeth Arden's Red Door.

4. Are you allergic to anything? Nope

5. Are you on Ravelry? What's your ID? Yes, it should be dontquityourdyejob but it ran out of space, so it's dontquityourdyej.

No comments: