Saturday, September 02, 2006

I couldn't help myself...

I just had to give in and start a pair of socks. I've tried. I've really tried. I just couldn't bring myself to knit one more stitch on the ongoing, never ending, hardly seeing any progress, baby blanket.

Don't get me wrong. I love the blanket. The pattern is beautiful, the fabric is coming out really nice. It's becoming very pretty. I only have 20 more rows to complete the FIRST round of four, though, and it's taking forever...

sooooo...

I caved. I was looking (drooling actually) over my sock yarn stash last night and I was feeling pretty damned creative, so patternless I decided to pull out a skein of opal and my size 2 doublepoints and here I go. It's a simple design, really, and I don't know yet where it's going to take me (since I've only ever knitted one pair of socks prior to this) but when I get to the end of the cuff maybe I'll post a picture. Or, I may rip it and try a different design I have floating around in my head.

I love toying with the idea of creating something totally from scratch with no pattern to follow and see where it leads me...

5 comments:

Frances said...

So how many more rows do you have done on that blanket? You may have to make it college bed size! :)

Rachel said...

Deb, I need you to email me your mailing addy for the sockret pal swap!
Thanks!

wendy said...

I know just how you feel!!!!! I am knitting a lacy baby shawl for a friend who's first is due in about 2 weeks. 327 stitches, 2ply wool (that's lace weight in US I think?), a 16 row repeating pattern.....17 repeats down and about 7 to go! I keep seeing sock yarns and kid mohairs in my stash and picking them up and before I know it there I am knitting something that isn't the shawl....and I'm running out of time!

Deb said...

HI Wendy,

I cheated and changed the pattern. I was supposed to do 4 rounds of this constantly changing pattern, done in strips. I cast on for the total width of the blanket, said the hell with the strips and then, in the middle, realized I would not have enough yarn for the pattern (must be an error in the pattern, since I made gauge), so I switched the middle third to something easy and then just had to do the top panel to match the bottom panel. I carried the cables throughout and it came out really cute, but man was it tedious.

I hope you have better luck with yours. I'm just glad I'm done.

Deb said...

Hey Frances,

Nyah, nyah! I finished it!!! (If I hadn't finished it in Mexico, you could shoot me by now! Hahahaha).

See you soon.